Friday 7 February 2014

The Most Relentlessly Awesome Films Ever: John Carpenter's 'The Thing'

I've decided to make this series a more regular one - hopefully one every two months this year.  Here's one to start:

THE MOST RELENTLESSLY AWESOME FILMS, EVER - PART THREE: 

JOHN CARPENTER'S 'THE THING'


Even though he doesn't have anything to do with this film - or indeed films in general - I'll start off the article by quoting the late, great (and still greatly missed) John Peel.  He once said of his favourite song - 'Teenage Kicks' by The Undertones - that it was 'perfect' because "it can't be improved by adding anything or taking anything away from it."  I guess that there is no such thing as a truly 'perfect' song, or book, or film.  But as I come to reflect on my favourite film of all time, John Carpenter's 'The Thing', I think John Peel's definition of 'perfect' as it applies to that song sums up how I feel about this classic film.  As it stands, it is an outstanding benchmark in genre film making, featuring an excellent ensemble cast whose performances perfectly convey the sense of dread and paranoia the story demands; some of the greatest practical special effects ever filmed; and an intelligent, gripping horror which has thought-provoking subtexts which continue to be relevant, even 30 years after the film's release.  There's nothing I can think of which would improve the film by adding or taking away from it.

To anyone with more than a passing knowledge of the film's history, there's not a lot more that can be said than has already been well stated: that the film, released the same summer as 'E.T' The Extra Terrestrial', was a noted critical and box office flop at the time - but since then it found an audience through screenings on TV, VHS, Laserdisc and DVD.  There have also been entire books written about 'The Thing' - analysing the subtext (the paranoia relating to the decline in trust throughout society, the body-related horror suggesting the terror caused by the then newly-discovered AIDS virus), celebrating the special effects, which many argue still surpass today's computer generated effects (from the genius of Rob Bottin, with input from the late great Stan Winston), and its overall place in a great run of work from director Carpenter, and that of the horror genre in general.


The Arctic setting helps compound the intensity of the claustrophobia the film evokes...
I don't think there's more to say than has already been written - instead I wanted to put a personal perspective on why, of all films, I consider this one to be my favourite.  To say that this film had an immense impact on me from the first time I watched it would be an understatement; I saw it over ten years after its original release one night on TV.  I was home alone as the rest of my family were away on holiday - and I've got to admit that it is one of only two horror films I have watched as an adult (I was 18 at the time, so an adult in the eyes of the law at least!) that have freaked me out enough that I've had to sleep with the night on for at least a couple of nights!  At that time I was quite inured to horror films - they either made me laugh at the clichés and stupidity of some of the characters, or physically repelled me at unnecessary gore; not since I was a child had I seen anything in film or TV which had frightened or disturbed me in any way.  It was the combination of what is, admittedly, a quite gory and repellent monster - so realistically brought to life by the work of Bottin and Winston - and the paranoia inducing fact that it can take the shape of anyone, and could be anywhere; that night I went to bed and daren't look underneath it in case slime-dripping, tentacular entrails suddenly lunged out to engulf me!

It's not just the execution, or the gore, that makes this creature work so well at creeping me out - it's like a tick box of phobias and disturbing images:

Insectoid limbs and mandibles? Check.

Tentacles, pseudopods and suckers? Check.

Massive tissue trauma and damage?  Check.

Strange form, mixing animals, insects and god-knows-what-else, which goes against virtually every earthly law of nature?  Check, check, check!  And that's before you get on to the sound - a creepy mix of unearthly breathing, insect chittering, tortured howls and strange slobbering noises...


Rob Bottin, the genius who created most of 'The Thing's astounding creature effects.
On its own the concept and execution of the titular alien creature is horrific enough, but what really sells the terror of the situation is the claustrophobic setting - an Antarctic Research Station isolated in the depths of winter - and above all else, the portrayal of the fragmenting trust amongst the group of men stationed there.  Not only is the ensemble cast excellent in its own right, but each actor gives their character a depth which might have otherwise been missing, as the script gives the bare essentials to define them.  Each are recognisably and realistically human, reacting to each other and the situation in surprising yet believable ways: the ones we think would be the natural leaders either don't seem to cope or completely relinquish the role, the ones who seem the most calm and level headed become the most violent, and the seemingly sympathetic ones are capable of making the most cold and heartless decisions.  So when the reality of the situation becomes clear to them, the relationships in the group fall apart in frightening and realistic ways.  It helps immensely that each actor plays the whole situation very straight - other actors or directors might have played up the B-Movie aspects of the premise, which would have undermined the atmosphere and terror.  So it is not just the astonishing and disturbing depiction of the creature that makes this film so scary, but a tremendous ensemble cast that makes it all the more affecting, making the viewer think about that 'what ifs?' of the scenario.

What if someone I knew was really a shape-shifting alien?  What if EVERYONE is?  What if there's already one in my house, hidden in some dark hide-away, waiting to grab me and absorb me?  As outlandish as those thoughts are, upon my first viewing of this film the paranoia and tone had got to me that much I was truly unnerved when I went to bed that night.  I can't remember how many nights I ended up sleeping with the light on, but certainly that night, and possibly till my family got back from holiday!


'The Thing' was one of several legendary collaborations between director John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell.
Of course, it no longer makes me check under my bed or closets and sleep with the light on - but it was the first film for several years which had made me do that; and having said that, each time I watch it, the impact remains undiminished.  The paranoia and tension still remains gripping, the special effects still disturb, frighten and amaze (even after watching all the documentaries and listening the commentaries which give away the special effects secrets); quite simply, this film just does what it does so well.  It has clearly influenced other work in cinema, novels, comics, and video games - yet it remains a unique film which can't be equalled (just look at the disappointing 2011 prequel...).


'First Goddamn week of winter...'
Going back to what I said earlier, there can't really be a 'perfect' film - and this one does have its flaws.  I think the most significant one is potential plot holes, though these don't really spring to mind until after a viewing of the film.  These mainly revolve around when, and how, certain characters are assimilated and become the alien.  Perversely, I actually think these add to the film - they're a true mystery which simply serve to fuel the paranoia of the film even further.  Another potential flaw is the entirely male cast.  I've been interested to note that this film doesn't seem to impact on female viewers on the same level as men; perhaps it's the lack of a character they can empathise with, or maybe it's because the horror of this film affects men more than women.  Perhaps there is an argument that the film could legitimately have had one or more female characters - scientists or another role - but perhaps the film is merely reflecting the source material (the Novella upon which it is based, written decades before, has an all-male cast of characters), and the times in which it was made (perhaps it was more likely for men to want to take these sort of roles in an inhospitable and isolated place like Antarctica).  I think this latter makes sense, as there are suggestions that each of the characters are in some way choosing to isolate themselves from normal society.  Kurt Russell's Macready even goes so far to live in a detached shack away from the rest of the camp!


One of the reasons this film works so well is the superb ensemble cast.
Either way, such debates are entirely moot whenever I watch the film - I am always enthralled by everything which makes it so great, and so widely regarded as a classic.  As the years have gone by, I - like many other people - have grown to appreciate the aspects which make the film work so well (the effects, the script, the cast, the direction), but for me it remains my favourite film of all time because of how it affected me on that first viewing.  Very few Horror films genuinely disturb or frighten me, and this managed to do both.  And, to varying degrees, it still does every time I watch it; for which I continue to love it!


'You gotta be fuckin' kidding..!'

No comments:

Post a Comment