Tuesday 8 October 2013

Movies to watch before Halloween - Part 2

So, here we are, the next of the choices for my list of films to watch during the run-up to Halloween.  I must admit every time I think I've finished it I either think of something else, or someone suggests another!  Because of this I'm now going to be including 4 films each week, instead of three (which was my initial intention).  Anyway, the films:

Dracula (1958)


I suppose it depends what generation you're from will affect which actor is, for you, the definitive take on Vampires - especially the most iconic of all, Count Dracula.  For me, that position belongs to Christopher Lee and his first performance in the role in the 1958 Hammer Horror Film.  I think this was one of the first horror films I managed to watch all the way through as a kid - certainly the first Dracula/Vampire film, at about the age of 9 or 10.  Watching it in the 1980's, time had certainly softened the edges of this one, which no doubt creeped a lot of people out upon its original release (but such is horror - what's considered shocking and terrifying one decade is seen as a joke the next).  It's easy to forget that, since the advent of romantic, sparkly vampires (sorry Mr Whedon, but you've got to take some responsibility for that nonsense...), Dracula was once an imposing and fear-inducing character.  For me, the one performance which truly lives up to that Christopher Lee in this film - he is completely menacing, and when he has his victims cornered, the way in which he slowly terrorizes and subjugates them creates scenes of great tension.  Aside from this, I've included 'Dracula' in this list of seasonal films because I think you need a touch of the Gothic when it comes to Halloween - and it's not complete without at least one Vampire!


Ghostbusters (1984)


"But wait!" I hear you cry! "This isn't a Halloween set/related film, and neither does it have an Autumnal feel (alright, some scenes do...)!  What's it doing here?"  Well, quite simply, I think this film fueled my interest in all things ghostly as a kid, which in turn fed in to decorating the house to be like a haunted house at Halloween (my Dad still enjoys reminding me of how much of the paint work I destroyed with this spray-on cobweb stuff!).  I even went Trick or Treating dressed as a Ghostbuster when I was about 11!  Halloween is not just about scares, it's about having fun, and this film is a comedy which has well and truly stood the test of time - there are jokes in it which I didn't get until I was much older.  It's got spooks and jumps but it's got great laughs - that's why I've included it in my list.


The American Scream (2012)


If you're planning on having a Halloween party and want to decorate your house up for it, then trust me, you want to see this documentary!  It focuses on three families in the US town of Fairhaven, Massachusetts, who every year spend a lot of time and effort to make their homes and gardens in to 'Haunts' - like a fairground haunted house, full of rooms of ghoulish and macabre scenes where you just know something (usually someone in a costume!) is going to jump out at you.  It's an amusing, and at times actually touching, portrayal of the varying degrees of obsession which drives these people (usually with their understanding wives and families!) to put on these.  If it doesn't get you in the mood for putting up Halloween decorations then I don't know what will..!  It certainly reminded me of how excited I used to get about Halloween as a kid.


The Exorcist (1973)



It's easy to forget the impact this film had, as there have been some bloody, traumatic and disturbing horrors released in the four decades since this was first unleashed on an unsuspecting world.  But despite the fact that so much of this film's shocks have permeated in to popular culture, there is still this incredible sense of disquieting and unsettling menace which seethes throughout it.  Something that still stands out is the sound design - it's as though everything is attuned to make even the smallest pin drop sound like a jarring cacophony; that's before you even get to the daemonic, possessed voices.  Aside from the fact it is a bench-mark Horror Film, I've decided I can put it in this list because there's a scene early in the film which features Trick or Treaters!


Right, that's it for this week, more next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment